I read a thought-provoking post over at Rachelle Gardner's blog this morning and it got me to wondering about how we read as writers.
The first part of my musings had to do with becoming a writer.
Over the years, I've read so many authors say it was one of those wall-tossed books that inspired them to write and prove they could "do better."
For me, it was an article I read aeons ago about how Rosemary Rogers and Shirlee Busbee got their starts writing that inspired me. I was in a hotel room on a business trip and leafing through a magazine. The article was something like You Too Can Be a Writer.
Honestly, that was the first time it occurred to me that I could. Me write a book like all those amazing authors? No WAY!
All these years later, I still haven't convinced myself I can, but I love trying.
So which inspires you more as a writer - an amazingly well-written book or one you want to toss at the wall?
Hi Mary -
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. :)
Believe it or not, reading the Bobbsey Twins as a child inspired my writing.
Blessings,
Susan
Hi Susan.
ReplyDeleteI loved the Bobbsey Twins though my favorites were definitely The Happy Hollisters. These books meant so much to me that the thought of me writing something like them never occurred to me.
Definitely theh amazingly well-written one. :-)
ReplyDeleteGood morning, Jessica. Thanks for stopping by. The amazingly well-written ones inspire me too. They intimidate me a bit as well, but they make me want to be better.
ReplyDeleteI think its just a way to express myself to others. I write for kids and must act like one a little too much so I figure its better to write for them. :O)
ReplyDeleteIn the beginning, it was "I can write better than this." But now I'm more inspired by the books I enjoy. I want to give a reader that same kind of pleasure.
ReplyDeleteBy far the well-written books. When I see the beautiful images and stories crafted with simple words, I want to do the same :)
ReplyDeleteKind of both! But especially a beautifully written one. In the end I want to make people feel as good as the well written ones made me feel. =)
ReplyDeleteHello! hope you good.I just want to say this is a great post.Really nice of you sharing it up here.Am staying in touch for more.Keep it up.
ReplyDeleteMeanwhile plz do check my blog on freeing your mind read it,follow,be inspired and comment to improve my works too.Have a wonderful day.
EBENEZER