WARNING: I'm suffering a mild case of the I'm Not at Conference Blues so this post isn't as upbeat as usual. Probably more because I'm getting bored blogging about the same book every day. :) But blues fits the topic and there's definitely something to learn.
To be honest, I'm getting a little impatient with these chapters in Writing from the Inside Out. They cover different stumbling blocks but the advice is the same. Good, but the same. Today's chapter is Fear and the advice is the same; we have to mine our fears to make our writing stronger.
Point taken and on to the next chapter. Really more of the same. The chapter is The Judge and the focus is our inner critic. I'm sure I don't have to tell you anything about inner critics. We know them all too well. To quote Palumbo, "You're a writer. Which means you're your own worst critic. Join the club." (p. 81) I guess the only advice is work with your inner critic to improve but don't let it stifle you.
Moving right along - Double-Barreled Blues. Honestly, this chapter is depressing. But that's the point I guess, of a chapter with that title. According to Palumbo, writers face two truths - first that the only advice we can follow is - to do the same thing - write, query, network, write some more, query some more, network some more - ad infinitum or until someone buys your work and then you do it again for the next one. That he says, also meets the definition of crazy (doing the same thing over and over without success). How depressing. Yes, I'm hearing some blues. But now comes the second barrel - that writing is the one field where the "belief, nurtured from childhood and reinforced in everyday life, in the validity of cause and effect," doesn't hold. (p. 83) Study and you'll do better on tests. Work hard and you'll get a raise. "Eat your spinach, you'll grow up big and strong." (p. 83)
I'm not sure I buy that it's all really that easy in the real world. Tell that to someone who has worked hard all their life only to lose a job when the company fails or the people whose savings were lost due to some unscrupulous person.
Still, though it's true that no matter how much you write, there's no golden promise that you'll sell, it's also true that if you stop, you'll never sell.
I read a wonderful blog this morning that's proof of that. Anna Standiszewski's blog on Writing The One" over on Adventures in Children's Publishing. It's a fabulous blog on the power of perseverance. Check it out.
Tomorrow's chapter is fun - Myths, Fairy Tales and Woody Allen, so be sure to come back.
And now, because I love to share music here and because a lot of people are feeling the I'm not at conference blues -
So how about you? Suffering not at conference blues or happy to be home and productive? What do you think about the advice I've been sharing?
Not truly blue, just a bit wistful. "Wish I coulda" type thing. Which is why I went with silly today. Gives me a better mindset.
ReplyDeleteI'm not REALLY blue either, Linda. ;) It just went better with the music and chapters. I've been to a number of them and I have next year's in NYC as well as the SCBWI Winter conference in NY to look forward to. My time right now is better spent with my keyboard.
ReplyDeleteI didn't think I'd be blue until I started reading all the #rwa10 Tweets. :( And unfortunately, I'm in between books this week, supposed to be working on a new proposal, but all I can seem to do is read Twitter.
ReplyDeleteI know the feeling, Paula. I've been trying to do the #1k1hr Twitter writes - it sort of justifies being on Twitter, but I also get writing done.
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by.
Paula, YES! That's just how I feel. The crowds and constant activity wear me out when I'm there, so I should be glad I'm home (and saving money) but I get this twinge... GET TO WORK :)
ReplyDelete