So far we've discussed
Part One - The Writing Life
Part Two - You are Enough
and now is Part Three entitled Grist for the Mill
The first chapter is Envy and it couldn't be more appropriate this week as I envy all the writers heading off to Orlando for the RWA National Conference or the ones heading to LA next weekend for SCBWI or the ones who recently attended Thrillerfest or RomCon.
According to Palumbo, that's not a bad thing. I'm just supposed to acknowledge the feeling and determine how it affects my writing. Does it stop me? Do I see it as a moral failing or a negative reflection on my work? He says that it's healthy to see it as a confirmation of how important goals are that we'd feel envious of those who achieve them.
The danger of envy - or any emotion - is when you allow it to deplete you. I love that word. Deplete. Sometimes my writing depletes me. That's when I know I've put all of myself into it. But sometimes the realities of the publishing world deplete me. That's what I need to fight. Palumbo suggests that we learn to "measure ourselves by internal monitors; to enjoy the expression of our creative talents for their own sake" (p. 70) rather than fall prey to the all too common paralysis of envy.
Rather, I'm supposed to use that envy - embrace it and incorporate it in my work because feelings are information that will color my writing, make it accessible to readers.
I think this sentence is so true (long, but true).
To the extent to which a writer can access this information (all feelings), and own it, this is the degree to which his or her work compels the reader to keep reading - to continue exploring, in tandem with the writer, the commonality of their experience as fellow human beings. (p. 67)
If there's anyone out there this week, please share your thoughts. How do you tap into your feelings with your writing.
Have you attended any great writing conferences?
Well, I'm certainly wrestling with envy this week, watching all the Facebook and blog chatter as everyone prepares to go to RWA. (I take it you're not going.) But will I be able to harness that feeling and apply it to my writing - probably not. At least not with what I'm working on right now. That may not be a good answer but it's an honest one.
ReplyDeleteHonesty is always appreciated here, Linda.
ReplyDeleteI'm trying to harness the envy. I did get over 2000 words done last night. I'm really liking the inspiration of Twitter's #1k1hr group.