Let's chat.
Monday, February 20, 2012
Where Do You Write?
I'm really curious for feedback on whether where you are writing has any effect on your writing?
Through the years, I've had various favorite places to write. I was thinking of them over the weekend and it occurred to me that my most productive writing places always faced outward either toward a window or out into a room. Whether it was the coffee shop I wrote in while my daughters had dance class (facing a window) or the makeshift office I created in the laundry room a decade ago (also facing a window), I seem to need open space ahead in order to lose myself in my story.
The problem with that is my desktop computer is in an enclosed office where I'm facing a wall. No wonder I'm always looking for outside wallpapers for the monitor.
Lately my most productive work has been early in the morning sitting propped up on my bed - looking outward into the room. I thought maybe it was just the early morning, but I got 1700 words written in an hour this afternoon in that same place.
I'm starting to think there's some psychological link here. It's almost like the wall behind my computer symbolizes writer's block.
Imagine how productive I could be if I had that beach desk?
Nah, I'd probably daydream all day.
What about you?
Where do you write? Does it matter to you?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I used to do all my writing in my office on my desktop, but I'm a recent convert to a laptop. Now I spend hours draped across my comfy armchair in front of the pellet stove tapping away on my MacBook Pro, and my iMac is getting dusty.
ReplyDeleteAh, Keli. That sounds lovely - particularly the pellet stove.
ReplyDeleteMy dilemma is that I much prefer writing on my iMac. I think the big screen appeals to me. Plus I hate the trackpad on my MacBook.
But there seems to be something freeing about taking the laptop and going wherever.
I should complain, right? I'm fortunate to have a choice.
Hmmm, I'm not sure if it matters, but ninety percent of the time I write on my couch. Cool pic!
ReplyDeleteI never thought it mattered until I realized that I was having problems every time I sat at my desktop.
DeleteI love to write on my couch because the dog curls up next to me, but I have this bad habit of falling asleep then.
I try to make it not matter, but yes, I do worlds better at my home desk. And it faces french doors to our pretty backyard with trees everywhere, so maybe outdoors does have something to do with it!
ReplyDeleteGillian, that sounds like such an incredible view. I think I'd be inspired by that too!
DeleteI'm like Jessica. I usually write on the couch, but I do have a chair with an ottoman that I like to sit in. My dog doesn't like me there though, because he can't snuggle beside me on the chair. ;)
ReplyDelete