Let's chat.

Let's chat.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Lazy Hazy Days of Summer

Like most of the country this week, NYC is baking!!!



Now if I were sitting on the deck of my imaginary beach house, 95 - 100 degrees might not seem so awful, but trapped in the city streets, it's oppressive.

It's also a really good excuse to indulge in my favorite summer activity - lazing away the day reading a good book.


This has been a really great reading summer for me. For some reason, last summer I was having a terribly hard time settling into any book (until The Hunger Games) but this summer is just one great read after another.

I just finished a marathon read of Terri Blackstock's Cape Refuge series which I really really enjoyed. I'm currently reading three books -

One for research - Miracles and Moments of Grace - Inspiring Stories from Military Chaplains - by Nancy B. Kennedy


Against All Odds by Irene Hannon - love her books!

and


Escaping into the Open - The Art of Writing True by Elizabeth Berg


I know I've been a really bad blogger; I think it's because I'd rather talk about reading than writing here.  I'm thinking of taking this blog in a new direction to talk books instead of writing so ...

I'd really like to know -

What are you reading?


Do you have any great books to recommend?

13 comments:

  1. I just finished reading Taking Flight by Connie Cox and loved it. It's about a young man and woman who used to be pals in grammar school and high school and she leaves and becomes a big-shot attorney then returns for the class reunion. Great summer read for me.
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation, Patti. That sounds like just the kind of book I'd love to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary! The last book I read (that wasn't a research book) was Rosslyn Elliott's Fairer than Morning. Wonderful book!

    Interested to see your new blogging direction. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lacie,

    Rosslyn's book is on my TBR pile. I've heard such wonderful things about it.

    Thanks so much for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think talking about what interests you (reading) is the best direction to take your blog. If you're having to "make" yourself blog, you won't stick with it long. I blog about what I love. Even though it is time-consuming work to write my blogs, I love writing them because I am so eager to share what I love.

    I'm reading Jailing the Johnston Gang by Bruce Mowday. It isn't what I expected. Parts of it fly. Other parts seem to go on forever. I'm going to take a break with some brain candy fiction when I finish this book. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been reading a lot of friends' books. Trish Milburn's women's fiction Living in Color was wonderful, as was TR Ragan's RS, Abducted. I'm reading Wild Montana Sky now by Debra Holland, and loving it. Also The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook has some AMAZING world-building and TONS of action. And Yours to Keep by Shannon Stacey was a great contemp romance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Catie,

    I love to talk about writing but I've been thinking about Kristen's comments on not posting about writing. I love to talk reading as much as writing - maybe more so it's got to all be good!
    Thanks for stopping by and sharing the book.

    You're a loyal friend, MJ. Lucky you that so many of your friends are great writers. Thanks for reminding me about Abducted. I meant to get that when it came out for Nook.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a writer, I consider reading an alreaady published book part of "the job". The best part, too be sure! So whenever my husband catches me with my nose in a book instead of, say, cooking dinner like I promised, I can say, "Hey, I'm working here!" Seriously, I love to read and read a lot. Best summer beach read so far this year has got to be "Summer Rental" by Mary Kay Andrews.

    Love the theme of your blog, BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jayne,
    Thanks for stopping by. I've read all of the other books by Mary Kay Andrews but I haven't gotten to "Summer Rental" yet. Thanks for recommending. I can see this post is going to get my TBR pile in even more trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny that you should mention Hunger Games since I just started reading Mockingjay! I also found The Year of the Hare an interesting book. And I enjoyed Splendor Falls by Rosemary Clement-Moore.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's sweltering down here in FL. I'm reading a LIH right now, Gold Rush Baby.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, how did I miss a post of yours? Sorry about that. I just finished The Help, which was wonderful, but that's not exactly a big discovery.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And now you've had a hurricane! What a summer it has been!

    I'm so glad you stopped by to tell me about your experience in graduate school. Somehow, I didn't know that.

    I keep saying to myself: just one day at the time, one day at the time...

    ReplyDelete