The Brooklyn tornado took out my cable, phone and internet Thursday night and ever since it's felt like living in an earlier time.
I never thought to ever experience a tornado in Brooklyn, but Thursday's literally passed right over my house. It was one of the scariest things I've ever seen. Apparently we had what's called a rain-shrouded funnel cloud so instead of the traditional funnel cloud, all you see is whiteout conditions with swirling bands of rain. All I know is that suddenly everything was going sideways. Since we'd been out walking the dog only 5 minutes earlier, I'm counting my blessings.
Most of the damage was to our gorgeous old trees. So sad, but it's amazing only one life was lost. So many people were caught outside in it.
Just a few of the pictures I took walking around my neighborhood over the weekend. Most of the major cleanup was done, but the tree damage was visible.
Windows from this church steeple ended up in my front yard - a block away!
Somewhere under all these mangled trees are my cable lines!
wow - so glad you are safe and sound!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Heather. It wasn't much of a tornado compared to the kind seen in other parts of the country, but a tornado is a tornado and for NYC it was a pretty big deal.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you're safe and back in the 21st century!
ReplyDeleteWhoa. I'll echo the others - very glad you're safe.
ReplyDeleteI saw this on the news, wow it must have been scary! The weather's been so extreme this summer, from high heat to this. I'm glad you're okay and connected again.
ReplyDeleteWow- being from Kansas, I'm used to seeing tornado damage. It is still odd to hear that you had one in Brooklyn. I'm glad you are safe and reconnected. So sorry for the loss of the lovely trees.
ReplyDeleteOh MAN.. how scary! I'm so glad you're safe.
ReplyDeleteMary, you live in Brooklyn?
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that you were safe and you didn't have any damage. I still can't believe we had a tornado in NYC, let alone Brooklyn and Queens.