I blogged the other day about the Olympic commercials, but then I saw a new one.
I guess it's no surprise that Proctor and Gamble, the company that gave soap operas their name, should be so good at tugging on the heartstrings.
You'll Never Walk Alone is one of my favorite songs. It always brings back memories of warm summer evenings at the beach - back when the Jones Beach Theater did summer musicals.
When I heard the song this time, I wasn't thinking of summer nights or even the Olympics.
I was feeling the wonderful comraderie of writer friends and realizing that we're never really alone in this journey to publication because there are so many wonderful people offering of themselves whether it be sharing a strategy or lending a shoulder.
Thank you to all my writer friends.
There are so many reasons to be thankful to friends - old and new - but I was recently reading something about the 2008 RWA Conference in SF and it reminded me of my very first National - also in SF - but way back in 1990. I was a newbie on the scene - knew literally no one - but I was welcomed with open arms by complete strangers. Those generous writers shared their knowledge their friendship - and their dinner table. I was grateful then and I still am today.
If you happen to drop by today - or a month from now - please share stories of how someone has helped you along the way.
Why did I start wanting to cry at commercials? =)
ReplyDeleteMy CP was instrumental in pushing me to submit and go PRO. She's also been a terrific resource and feedback provider. I wouldn't be nearly as far along without her.
First, let me wipe my eyes...
ReplyDeleteOkay.
Who helped? A couple of fantastic CPs who are now published with Simon Pulse and fully deserve all their success: Charity Tahmaseb and Darcy Vance.
They taught me so much, encouraged me so much... I would never have published a word without them.
Good for your CP, Gwen. I've stalled on that for years and still haven't gone PRO. In my defense, I took a 6 year hiatus from writing to finish a dual masters degree, but I should probably get my act together on that.
ReplyDeleteMarianne, you're lucky to have them. I lost my best plotting partner when she moved away. We still try via email or phone but it doesn't work as well as sitting with a pot of tea and plate of scones.